Hi all!! I am new on the network.

My name is Beatriz Sigüenza, founder of Leap lab in Spain. I am helping small and medium size companies to innovate, using Design Thinking as a tool. However I am having a hard time trying to convince them about the importance of innovation. 

I will happy with some advice or tips about your experience.

You can write me to beatriz@leap-lab.com.

Thanks!!

Views: 361

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

point.... i think we are long way from convincing and by the time we do convince people ... engage in conversations most of these jargons of design thinking would get obsolete... there is already new concept of creative intelligence about to overule design thinking ...no?

Jargon are only words used within a group of people, Creative Intelligence is the same concept as Design Thinking it's only playing with words and people trying to own a domain again. It's not about finding a new toy to play with. We should focus our conversations on the underlying shift that is taking place.

I try not to use jargon when speaking with people who are not used to hearing these words. Just use the words they are using. Isn't that what being emphatic is all about, and isn't design thinking all about building empathy? ;-)

I agree Empathy and design thinking thrive together to make this world a better place

I can easily identify with your situation Beatriz. I just started working for a Real Estate consulting company, whose director had enough innovation in him to hire me (a design ethnography graduate, whose main focus has been user research), but does not really know how to leverage my skills. The focus is on how I am to leverage the skills of the people in the firm. I have no argument when using words like user experience, or design thinking.

BUT! There is a silver lining. I recently received a wonderful piece of advice. I have been putting it into direct practice, while attempting to "convince" senior management of the need for "design thinking" (never actually using such words). The key is to create a problem then solve it. Everyone on this network is convinced of the power of design thinking to change and innovate for the better, but we all also know that most people are not. You can explain the benefits or ROIs until you are blue, but they still won't have a tangible anchor to the current situation that exists. 

Allow me to illustrate, when I say "create a problem," I mean illuminate an existing issue that has future repercussions. Walk the stakeholders down the dismal path of an ignored issue and the fallout that it leaves behind. Then quickly swoop in with a solution firmly rooted in the tools of design thinking and user experience research (in my case). Provide a solution that can do things that their traditional solutions cannot.

Let me give an example of this kind of tactic. The company where I work is full of the most brilliant technicians and property minded professionals. They are very good at what they do, but when I ask them what they do, the answer boiled down to, "whatever the client needs." I kept pressing, but the answers got no clearer than that. I quickly began a campaign making a big issue of this lack of definition and clarity, they started to get worried and ask themselves, "hmm what DO we do?" I called a meeting and provided a simple colour coded mind mapping activity and within 2 hours had facilitated the creation of the company's first map of its offerings. SUre they had traditional capability statements and marketing materials, but never had their work been physically mapped on a wall, GASP!

Without having spread a little panic and those well placed questions emphasizing an existing problem, they never would have agreed to sit down at the table and participate, regardless of the fact that the mapping was for their own benefit.

Hola Beatriz

¡Estoy en México y creo que nuestras culturas son muy similares!

I try to sell "User Experience Design" to companies, and people always seem esceptic about this. What have worked for me us, as Arne says, is to talk of what we do as non-traditional marketing and marketing research, this way they feel more confident because they would invest is in this field, but not in something unknown for them.

As well, my first approach in the sales pitch is almost a lesson, in which we use models and lots of examples that we customize regarding the client industry so he can relate what we're saying to relevant success stories, awakening his desire and aspirations.

In the end I guess it's all about creating enough emphaty by using terms, and references your potential client already knows to leverage your offer.

Saludos

I am using these (with some variations) and get the attention on change and it works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ILQrUrEWe8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ILQrUrEWe8

Think about it :)

Tufan Karaca

RSS

Forum

Customer discovery - would love your thoughts

Started by Nikki. Last reply by Arne van Oosterom Nov 30, 2017. 1 Reply

Human-centered design and service work?

Started by Christopher Federer Oct 12, 2017. 0 Replies

Promoting my book

Started by Aaron A. Palileo Sep 12, 2017. 0 Replies